Spider Vein Treatment in Jersey City, NJ
Many people can clearly see how unattractive spider veins are, but what they do not see is that they are unhealthy as well. Thankfully, Dr. Zbigniew Moszczynski offers spider vein treatment at Vein and Skin Studio in Bayonne. He is a highly-skilled specialist with board certification in general surgery and phlebology, and he can help you eliminate your unsightly, unhealthy spider veins.
What Are Spider Veins?
Spider veins are small yet visible veins that are in a red, blue or purple color seen near the surface of the skin. Spider veins get their name from their web-like appearance and are mostly found in the face and legs. Spider veins are tiny capillaries or thin vessels connected with the larger vein system. Spider veins are mostly a cosmetic issue and do not pose major risks. Spider veins can cause the following symptoms:
- Heaviness in the legs
Spider veins are sometimes confused with varicose veins; however, there is a slight difference between the two. Spider veins are tiny, threadlike veins that appear close to the surface of the skin. On the other hand, varicose veins are usually bigger, darker and located deeper under the skin. Spider veins could become varicose veins increase in size and numbers over time if they are not treated.
Why Do Spider Veins Develop?
Spider veins are the result of weakened valves inside the larger/deeper veins of your legs, which allow blood to leak or become backed up. In turn, this causes the spider veins to enlarge and become more visible. Several factors contribute to the development of weak valves, including:
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Sitting or standing for long periods
How are Spider Veins Treated?
- Veinwave™ – is used to treat spider veins and facial veins. The Veinwave™ procedure is non-invasive and uses a micro-needle with high-frequency energy to heat and shrink the blood vessels. This will result in the removal of the veins and blemishes permanently. The Veinwave™ procedure requires no downtime and has proven results.
- Sclerotherapy – is another procedure used to treat varicose and spider veins. Sclerotherapy is done by injecting a salt sclerosant solution directly into the vein. The lining of the blood vessel swells and sticks together which closes the injected blood vessel. Eventually, scar tissue is formed, and the vein slowly fades visibly. The procedure only takes 15-30 minutes and depending on the amount of spider veins may need to be done over several sessions. Sclerotherapy is done in the office and requires only a few days off from exercise.
Does Spider Vein Treatment Hurt?
There is minimal discomfort during Sclerotherapy secondary to tiny needle insertion but injection itself is usually painless.
What Side Effects Can be Noticed After Spider Vein Treatment?
Your legs may appear slightly red or discolored following the procedure, but this usually fades over the next few days. Your skin might also be swollen and itchy shortly afterwards. Bruising and light bleeding under the skin near the injection sites could also occur.
When Will Results be Noticed?
A majority of the time, patients begin to notice results in about two or three weeks. After each session, the improvement continues.
What is the Recovery Period Like?
You might have to wear a compression stocking or support hose for 72 hours or longer following your spider vein treatment. Most patients are advised to avoid demanding activities such as jogging for as long as one week. Walking, however, is strongly encouraged, because it helps promote healthy blood flow in your legs.
Who is a Good Candidate for Spider Vein Treatment?
Patients who may have a successful spider vein treatment include those who:
- Are in good health overall
- Are not pregnant
- Do not have diabetes or a circulatory disorder
- Do not take blood-thinning medications
How Long Will Results Last?
The length of time that the results last varies between patients, but many of them benefit from spider vein treatment for several years. Those who remain exposed to the same factors that cause or predispose them to the development of spider veins, however, could experience a recurrence of them over time.
How Much Does Spider Vein Treatment Cost?
Insurance providers categorize skin rejuvenation treatments as electives, so most of them do not cover related expenses. To make spider vein treatment more accessible and affordable for everyone who comes to Vein & Skin Studio, we offer financing through CareCredit® and accept personal checks, cash and major credit cards. Call us today if you have any questions about how much your treatment could cost.
Serving the New Jersey city of Bayonne and the neighboring communities, Vein & Skin Studio is led by Dr. Zbigniew Moszczynski. He offers minimally-invasive skin rejuvenation procedures that remove spider veins. Contact us to schedule a consultation.